Motodrome offer for sale this 1959 example of the ever-popular Land Rover Series II, this one an 88in petrol model
This one is a little different and very rare in that it’s one of the 275-odd ordered by the War Office in two-wheel drive format, for use mainly by the Military Police to patrol towns and intervene when squaddies got too boisterous, hence 4wd wasn’t required. Very few are believed to survive.
Their official designation was Truck, Utility Light CL 4×2 Rover Mk 6, and the military number for this one was 20 CL 06, and we think it’s the 5th to last one built. It was cast in 1969 and sold at the Ruddington military auctions.
It was registered as a 1969 vehicle as was the practice at the time, and the first civilian owner, a Mr Brian Wardle, kept it until 1985. By around 2000, it seems to have fallen into disrepair before being rescued and restored in 2014-2017
Spec-wise it seems to retain most of it’s early features including rotating knob vent flaps, Pyrene fire extinguisher, and elephant hide rear bench seats. Also fitted with a matching set of 5 Firestone 650×16 tyres, Exmoor Trim hood, and towbar with electrics.
Odometer reading 41000 miles, although this should be disregarded as the speedo isn’t working. It is fitted with a period-correct 151 prefix 2.25 military motor.
It comes with a big sheaf of history and bills, and articles on the 2wd models
At the very bottom of the page, you’ll find our usual 2 videos: a walkaround appraisal, and driving impressions.
E & OE